- Category: Chogm 2013
- Published on Saturday, 13 July 2013 16:04
- Hits: 1420
The following is a statement by the Chairman of the Sub-Committee on Media/Publicity/ICT of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013 Taskforce regarding media access for CHOGM 2013.
Sri Lanka looks forward to receiving applications from local and international media professionals for accreditation to cover the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013 taking place in November. The online registration system is now available through the official CHOGM website at www.chogm2013.lk.
There have been various reports recently in the media expressing concern about the accreditation process that the CHOGM 2013 Taskforce Secretariat has adopted for media professionals. As the Chairman of the Media/Publicity/ICT Sub-Committee, I take this opportunity to provide the following clarifications:
- The process of accreditation of all international and domestic media is based entirely on the Commonwealth Secretariat guidelines, which have been followed at previous CHOGMs.
- For international media, the Commonwealth Secretariat in London, in consultation with the CHOGM 2013 Taskforce Secretariat in Colombo, will review and process the accreditation. As the host country, Sri Lanka will be responsible for processing the visa applications of all accredited international media.
- Local media applications will be reviewed by the Ministry of Mass Media and Information of Sri Lanka.
- The Terms and Conditions outlined in the online registration site are identical to the Terms and Conditions used during CHOGM 2011 in Perth, Australia.
The Government of Sri Lanka, as host of CHOGM 2013, welcomes all journalists to Sri Lanka to cover this very important summit. As a member of the Commonwealth of Nations for more than 60 years, Sri Lanka remains fully committed to Commonwealth values, including a free press.
Furthermore, we believe it will be an excellent opportunity for international journalists to get a first-hand look at the developments in post-war Sri Lanka. The CHOGM 2013 Taskforce Secretariat will take every effort to ensure a quick, efficient and problem-free accreditation process for all media professionals.
Sub-Committee on Media/Publicity/ICT
CHOGM 2013 Taskforce Secretariat