- Published on Tuesday, 08 May 2012 13:36
- Hits: 562
The Indonesian government has announced that it will remove Sri Lanka from Indonesia’s immigration red list end of this month. The Travel Documents Chief of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights Budi Satria Wibawa has announced this decision.
Bangladesh will also be removed from the immigration red list together with Sri Lanka.
Budi has said that the economy and security of both nations had improved, allowing the government to relax visa arrangements for Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi citizens entering Indonesia.
Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan were among 13 nations on Indonesia’s immigration red list, in addition to Guinea, Israel, Iraq, North Korea, Cameroon, Liberia, Niger, Nigeria and Somalia.
The Indonesian English daily the Jakarta Post reported that currently there are around 3,660 foreign migrants in Indonesia, and around 2,008 of them are from Afghanistan.
The Immigration Office has named Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Myanmar and Pakistan as countries which are the main source of migrants trying to reach Australia.
The newspaper quoting Indonesian Immigration officials said that only 10 percent of Sri Lankans entering Indonesia legally exited the country, while the remaining 90 percent could not be located. (niz).