- Published on Friday, 27 July 2012 11:28
- Hits: 336
The government assures that all students who were caused inconvenience over the Z-score issue will be provided admission to the Universities. Discussions are being held with the Vice Chancellors of the Universities on increasing the number of admissions and to ascertain about the facilities and funds required to be provided by the government.
This was stated by the Minister of Higher Education S B Dissanayake addressing a media conference held at the Ministry of Mass Media and Information yesterday.
The Minister said about 2,000 to 3,000 more students would be offered university admission this year. He said the government has already taken up the issue seriously and it would take every measure to provide a solution in a very fair manner without causing inconvenience to students. He said the government is bound to implement the court order and would proceed with it, avoiding any inconvenience to any student.
The Minister also said that he would present a special Cabinet paper for approval to allow the students who sat for the A-L examination for the third time last year to sit for a fourth time too.
He said that the Stalins, Marx and Lenins (referring to the Trade Union leaders and JVP activitists) who criticize the court verdict must understand that it is an insult to the court. He also said that politically motivated teachers’ unions and students movements had contributed to worsen the Z score issue from the earlier stage.
The Minister also said that President Mahinda Rajapaksa and the Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa have also discussed about this issue and the President has instructed him to provide a very fair solution without inconveniencing any student regardless of expenditure that the government may have to incur.
Cabinet Spokesman and the Minister of Mass Media and Information Keheliya Rambukwella, the Director General of Government Information Prof Ariyaratne Athugala and several others attended the Media Conference. (niz)