- Published on Thursday, 02 February 2012 15:58
- Hits: 3375
The following decisions taken by the Cabinet of Ministers at its weekly meeting held on February 01, was revealed to the media by the Minister of Environment and the Actg Minister of Mass Media and Information Mr Anura Priyadarshana Yapa at the post cabinet press briefing held at the Government Information Department today (02) with the participation of the Director General of Government Information Prof Ariyarathna Athugala
1.Accelerated Urban Development Programme for Matara
- On a proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, the Cabinet decided to implement number of development programs in Matara inclusive of the construction of Convention Hall
- Matara Municipal Council area has been declared as an Urban Development Area under the Urban Development Authority. Accordingly,
- Development of Nilwala Riverside Park; and, Development of Urban Forest will also be carried out at a cost of Rs 108 million.
22.75 acres of private land identified for the project will be acquired
2.Task Force secretariat for CHOGM 2013 Summit
- Commonwealth Heads of Government 2013 Summit will be held in Sri Lanka in 2013 and this will be the largest international event at the level of Heads of State to be held in Sri Lanka since 1976 when Sri Lanka hosted the 5th Summit of the Non Aligned Movement.
- This meeting will be attended by 54 member countries.
- On a proposal made by Prof. G.L. Peiris, Minister of External Affairs, the cabinet approval was granted to set up a Task Force Secretariat (TAFS) at BMICH to proceed with the work pertaining to CHOGM 2013 with an allocation of Rs 217.44 million as capital and recurrent expenditure.
- Officers are to be seconded from the identified ministries and Department such as External Affairs, Defence and Urban Development, Mass Media and Information, Economic Development for a period of two years to work full time for the preparatory work
3.MoU with the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service on Cooperative Bio security Initiatives -
- A proposal made by Mr. Mahinda Yapa Abeyawardena, Minister of Agriculture to sign a MOU between the two countries on co-operation for Bio security initiatives, was approved by the Cabinet.
- Measures devised by the International Plant Protection Convention and the Montreal protocol, help to prevent the spread and introduction of pests of plant and plant products when exchange of commodities takes place among countries.
- Fumigating with Methyl Bromide is a method of treatment used to prevent such occurrences.
- The above MOU will facilitate the training of Quarantine Officers of the Ministry of Agriculture and treatment providers of the Private Sector, through providing required skills on Methyl Bromide fumigation.
4.Spot fine against motorists contravening Seat Belt Regulations
- On a proposal made by Mr. Kumara Welgama, Minister of Transport, cabinet gave its approval to amend Section 157 A( 4) of the Motor Traffic Act, to enable spot fines to be 'imposed in similar manner, against drivers and passengers traveling in the front seat of vehicles who contravene the seat belt Regulations.
- In keeping with the provisions of the Motor Traffic Act, Regulations pertaining to violation of seat belt provide, after a summary trial in a Court of Law, for the imposition of a fine not less than Rs.1000/- and not exceeding Rs.2000/- on the first occasion, a fine not less Rs.2000/- and not exceeding Rs.3000/- on the second occasion, and a fine not exceeding Rs.3, 500/- and cancellation of the driving license on the third occasion, on conviction after a summary trial in a Court of Law.
5.Special Competitive Examination for Grade III Vacancies of the Accountants' Service in Northern and Eastern Provinces - 2012" –
- On proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Finance and Planning, the Cabinet has decided to conduct a special competitive examination to recruit officers for 63 vacancies of Grade III posts in the Sri Lanka Accountants' Service in the Northern and Eastern Provinces.
- As per the provisions of the Service Minute of the service its mandatory to select a batch of officers with language proficiency to meet the expectations of the general public living in the said areas.
- Those selected for appointment will serve a minimum compulsory period of ten (l0) years in the Northern and Eastern Provinces.
6.USD 213 million Assistance from IBRD of World Bank for Metro Colombo Urban Development Project
- The proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Finance and Planning, to conduct negotiations with International Bank for Reconstruction & Development (IBRB) of the World Bank to obtain financial assistance in a sum of US $213 million for the implementation of the Metro Colombo Urban Development Project was approved by the Cabinet.
- The objective of the project is to reduce adverse physical and socio- economic impact of flooding in the Colombo Metropolitan Area and to improve the overall capacity of land use and economic activities in the Colombo Metropolitan Area
- It is expected to commence project activities by the Ministry of Defence and Urban Development in April 2012 and to be completed within three (03) years.