- Published on Friday, 10 February 2012 15:50
- Hits: 2457
The following decisions taken by the Cabinet of Ministers at its weekly meeting held on Thursday the February 09, was revealed to the media by the Minister of Environment and the Acting Minister of Mass Media and Information Mr Anura Priyadarshana Yapa at the post cabinet press briefing held at the Government Information Department Auditorium on Friday with the participation of the Director General of Government Information Prof Ariyarathna Athugala
1. Establishment of National Green Reporting System in Sri Lanka –
· The proposal made by Mr.Anura Priyadharshana Yapa, Minister of Environment the Cabinet approved the establishment of the National Green Reporting System in Sri Lanka
· The objective of its establishment is to facilitate the manufacturing and service sectors, to periodically measure and report their sustainability performance with regard to economic, environmental and social aspects, in order to continually improve their production processes and services, relationship with stakeholders and enhance their image, while contributing towards the sustainable development of the country.
· A Governing Council with the participation of representatives of government entities responsible for policy guidelines for Sri Lanka Manufacturing and services sectors will be set up
2. Assistance to southern Fishermen affected by Storm on 25th November 2011 –
· People of the Southern and South-Western part of the country had experienced unprecedented wind storm on 25th Last November and it claimed the lives of 17 fisher-fork while 11 were reported missing in the Galle and Matara districts
· The proposal made by Dr. Rajitha Senaratne, Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development, the Cabinet approved to provide Rs 100,000 to the closest relatives of fishermen who lost lives and missing while providing 5000 life saving jackets at a cost of Rs 40 million.
3. 792 Low income Housing Units at Salamulla, Kolonnawa
· The proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, the Cabinet has approved the construction 792 Housing Units (02 Nos 12 storied building block) at Vijaya Road, Salamulla, Kolonnawa, for the people living in shanties in the area.
· The Cabinet, on the recommendation of the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee, decided to award the contract for piling for this construction to M/s Sierra Pilling (pvt) Ltd at a total cost of Rs.270 million.
4. US$ 200 million from the Government of Pakistan –
· The Government of Pakistan has agreed to extend an Export Credit Facility of US$ 200 million through the State Bank of Pakistan.
· An amount of US$ 150 million of this credit, is to be utilized for the construction of Housing Units for Shanty Dwellers in Colombo and suburbs and the balance US$ 50 million for the importation of livestock, plant and machinery from Pakistan.
· The proposal made by the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and planning, to enter into a loan agreement for the purpose with the Government of Pakistan, during his current State visit to Pakistan was approved by the Cabinet.