- Published on Thursday, 22 March 2012 12:16
- Hits: 1724
1.Task of maintaining rest areas in the Southern Expressway to be vested in a Govt owned company
- On proposal made by President, as the Minister of Ports and Highways, the Cabinet decided vest the task of development, operation and maintenance of rest areas on the Southern Expressway with Sri Lanka Insurance Resorts & SPAS Private Limited which is a fully owned subsidiary of Sri Lanka Insurance Corporation Limited on a 99 year lease.
- The rest area in the country’s first E-01 expressway is located at Welipenna on the 44th Km. from Kottawa.
2. Rs 341 million for Re-laying of pipe borne water scheme in the Galle Municipal area
- On the recommendation of Mr. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, the Cabinet decided to allocate Rs 341 million to proceed with the project for relaying of pipe borne water supply system within the Galle Municipal area.
- The Galle Water Supply Scheme covers 50 Grama Niladhari Divisions within the Galle Municipal Council area through 18,235 domestic consumer connections and 2049 non-domestic consumer connections and the beneficiary population stands at 101,420 people and some of the pipes laid are older than 100 years and need replacement. .
- It has been observed that the people living within the Galle Municipal Council area do not have alternative source to cover their daily water needs, except the pipe borne water supplied by the National Water Supply and Drainage Board.
3. Supply of 2.5 million seeds packet for National Programme of Divi Naguma – 2012
- The Ministry of Agriculture has been entrusted with the task of providing 2.5 million packets of seeds to the Department of Agrarian Development, each containing ten varieties of vegetable seeds for the distribution among beneficiaries under Divineguma -2012 program
- Tthe inaugural ceremony of this national programme is to be held Island wide on 2012-04-05.
- The proposal made by Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, Minister of Agriculture, to procure this requirement through the private sector along with leaflet at a cost of Rs.l78 million was approved by the Cabinet.
4. Approval for MoU with Pakistan on Mass Media
- On a recommendation of Actg Minister of Mass Media and Information Mr. Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene the Cabinet of Ministyers gave its covering approval for a Memorandum of Understanding on Mass Media signed with the Government of Pakistan and during the recent visit of President of Sri Lanka, to Pakistan.
- The MoU will inter alia facilitate the exchange of visits and training facilities between the two countries.
5. National School of Business Management with degree awarding Status to be established
- On a proposal made by Dullas Alahappperuma, Minister of Youth Affairs and Skills Development, the cabinet gave its approval to proceed with the establishment of National School of Business Management with degree awarding status on a 25 acre land allocated for ther purpose at Homagama, Pitipana
- The National School of Business Management has been incorporated to conduct Degree Courses under the supervision of the National Institute of Business Management.
6. Intravenous Solution (IV) Manufacturing Plant to be set up in Sri Lanka –
- On a proposal made by Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, the cabinet decided to proceed with the establishment of a manufacturing plant of IV fluid needed for the health care services
- Intravenous Solution (IV) plays a major role in providing healthcare services to needy patients of Sri Lanka, especially during natural disasters and the current requirement of this solution in the country is around 11 million units.
- There is no manufacturing facility as at present in the country and in the year 2010 alone the cost of imports was USD 5million. The manufacture of IV solutions locally gives enormous financial benefits.
7. Five storied Building for the Advanced Technological Institute (ATI) at Anuradhapura –
- On a proposal made by Mr. S.B. Dissanayake, Minister of Higher Education the cabinet approved the allocation of Rs 120 million for the construction of a five storied building for the Advanced Technological Institute (ATI) at Anuradhapura
- This Institute functions under the Sri Lanka Institute of Advanced Technological Education (SLIAT) and offers Higher National Diploma courses in Accountancy and English.
- In view of the urgent need to cater to 360 students studying at present and to cater to the future intake of students, the infrastructure facilities consisting of an Administration Block, Lecture Hall, Classroom Blocks, a Computer Laboratory, an Audio Visual Room, a Conference Room, a Library Block, a Cafeteria etc. will be set up within this new building complex.
8. Diabetes Association of Sri Lanka gets a block of land at Rajagiriya
- The proposal made by President, as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to lease out a 19.8 perch block of land at Rajagiriya by the Urban Development Authority, to the Diabetes Association of Sri Lanka, for expansion of their activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
9. A new Performing Arts Act
- On a joint proposal made by Minister of Culture and the Arts Mr. T.B. Ekanayaka and the Actg Minister of Mass media and Information Mr. lakshman yapa Abeywardene the cabinet decided to introduce a Performing Arts Act in order to promote the quality of our tele dramas.
- Dramas broadcast/telecast by electronic media channels will be brought under this proposed act to be brought with the concurrent of Teledrama Producing Association will