- Published on Thursday, 29 March 2012 16:03
- Hits: 2532
1.May 07, Mondayan Additional Holiday for Vesak
- On a proposal made by Prime Minister D.M. Jayarathna the Cabinet of Ministers decided to declare Monday the May 07,2012 as a Public Holiday
- The Vesak Full Moon Poya Day and the day following the Vesak day this year fall on Saturday the 05th and Sunday the 06, May respectively. May 07 Monday has already been declared as a Bank holiday
2.A MoU with Kuwait to protect the rights of Sri Lankan migrant workers
- The Cabinet of Ministers granted approval to a proposal made by Mr. Dilan Perera, Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Welfare, to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the State of Kuwait to protect the rights and ensure welfare of Sri Lankan migrant workers employed in Kuwait.
- It has been observed that there are about 260,000 Sri Lankans are employed in the State of Kuwait, of which 75% are female domestic workers.
- This will be similar to the MoUs already entered with Governments of UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Jordan on the field of employment migration.
3.MoU on Bilateral Labour Co-operation with Iraq
- A proposal by Mr. Dilan Perera, Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Welfare, to enter into Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of Iraq to create more employment opportunities for Sri Lankans was approved by the Cabinet.
- Iraq is in need of large number of migrant workers as it emerges from the period of conflict.
- This is expected to increase foreign exchange earnings to the country,
4.National Archives Act to be amended
- The proposal made by Mr. Jagath Balasooriya, Minister of National Heritage, to amend the National Archives Act was approved by the Cabinet.
- As the introduction of electronic documents are on the increase it has been felt necessary to formulate a legal framework to preserve electronic documents
5.Construction of Kallady Bridge in the east to be expedited
- The proposal made by President, as the Minister of Ports and Highways, to engage a sub-contractor to expedite the construction. of the Kallady Bridge on the Akkaraipattu-Batticaloa-Thirukkondiadimadu road with JICA funding was approved by the Cabinet.
- As the construction of this 288.35 M long bridge was delayed by the contractor when it was awarded in 2007 it has been decided to entrust the task to a new contractor
6.A new Railroad from Embilipitiya to Batticaloa
- The Cabinet approved a proposal made by Mr.Kumara Welgama, Minister of Transport, for the construction of a new rail road from Embilipitiya to Batticaloa via Moneragala and Ampara.
- The Cabinet accordingly, decided to entrust the CECB to have a pre-feasibility study on this project.
- On an earlier decision a feasibility study is being conducted by the University of Moratuwa to extend the Kelani Valley Railway line from Avissawella to Hambantota via Ratnapura, Embilipitiya and Mattala.
7.A combined teacher transfer policy for National Schools and 1000 Secondary schools
- The proposal made by Mr. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, to introduce a new combined Teacher Transfer Policy to transfer teachers for the 342 National Schools and 1000 secondary schools under Provincial Council was approved by the Cabinet.
- Under the present policy the teachers who have completed 08 years of service in the provincial schools are given transfers within the schools administered by provincial councils.
- However difficulties are faced by the authorities when teachers who have completed 10 year service in the 342 national schools are transferred due to the scattered location of National schools. The teachers serving in the national schools are at present transferred within those schools only
- Therefore, the proposed new teacher transfer policy will pave the way for transfer of teachers among the 342 National schools and 1000 secondary schools making it to balance the teacher needs by releasing the excess teachers.
- In addition to annual transfer teachers are liable to be transferred on the basis of service need with the concurrence of Secretary Education in respect of National Schools and the Provincial Secretary of Education in respect of Provincial Schools.
8.Implementation of Moneragala, Buttala Water Supply Scheme through Belgium funding –
- The proposed project intends to provide pipe borne water coverage to Moneragala and Buttala sub urban areas, including. Madulla. Okkampitiya and Buttala.
- The project will cover 20 Grama Niladhari Divisions in Moneragala, 19 Divisions in Buttala and Okkampitiya and 4 Divisions in Madulla.
- The proposal made by Mr. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to award the above contract for a sum of Euro 23.98 million and for the General Treasury to provide a sum of Rs.1385 million as domestic funds, was approved by the Cabinet.
9.500 kg of Chili Seeds to be imported from India by Hadabima Authority of Sri Lanka –
- It has been proposed to cultivate chilies in an extent of 5000 hectares . in the Yala Season and 12000 hectares in the Maha Season in keeping with the food production programme for Sri Lanka to become self sufficient in Chilies.
- The proposal made by Mr Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, Minister of Agriculture, for the Sri Lanka Hadabima Authority to import 500 Kg. of hybrid chili seeds from India at a total cost of Rs 70 million inclusive of Duty and other levies was approved by the Cabinet.
- Sri Lanka spends around Rs 5,500 million annually for import of chili and it needs 5000 kg of chili seeds annually but the local producers are not in a position to provide the whole needs of chili seeds.