- Published on Thursday, 05 April 2012 12:23
- Hits: 2127
1.Rs 145 m for the construction of Mahaweli Maha Seya of Kotmale
- On a proposal made by Prime Minister Mr. D.M. Jayaratne, , the Cabinet decided to grant an allocation of Rs.145 million for the construction of the Mahaweli Maha Seya commencing from 2013
- Mahaweli Seya was only two feet shorter than the Ruwanweli Mahaseya and the construction of Mahaweli Seya was begun on 20th March 1983 according to a concept of late minister Gamini Dissanayake
2.A new Secondary School in Matara under Education Ministry
- A proposal made by Mr. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education to establish a secondary school in a new building complex constructed at a cost of Rs 110 million with funding from International Children’s Fund at Rassadeniya area in Matara under the programme of reconstruction of schools damaged due to the Tsunami,
- This building was constructed with the intention of shifting Matara, Mahamaya Balika Vidyalaya to this new building but due to disagreement of the community the shifting was dropped
- Accordingly, it is proposed to initiate a secondary school in this building under the Ministry of education with the subject streams such as physical science, biological science, commerce, arts and Technology with classes from Grade 10 to 13.
3.UNESCO-South Asian Centre for Teacher Development in Sri Lanka –
- Cabinet was informed that, on a proposal made by Mr. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, UNESCO has identified Sri Lanka for the setting up of the South Asian Centre for Teacher Development.
- This Centre is expected to contribute immensely towards improving the quality of education in Sri Lanka and in the South Asian Region.
- This centre will concentrate its activities in the main areas of Continuous professional development of teacher educators/counselors/advisors and mentors for school based teacher development.
4.Motor Traffic Act to revised to implement spot fine in respect of violation of Seat Belt Regulations –
- The proposal made by Mr. Kumara Welgama, Minister of Transport, to amend the Motor Traffic Act to incorporate regulations under the Act in respect of the penalty for violation of Seat Belt Regulations and to present it in Parliament for approval, was approved by the Cabinet.
- The penalty will be as follows:
- failure of the driver to use the Seat Belt - Rs.l 000; and,
- failure of the front seat passenger to use the Seat Belt - Rs.l 00
5.A Chinese Cultural Center to be set up in Sri Lanka –
- The proposal made by Mr. T.B. Ekanayake, Minister of Culture and the Arts to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Governments of the People's Republic of China, to further strengthen the friendly relationship between the two countries, was approved by the Cabinet.
- Accordingly, a Chinese Cultural Centre is to be established and maintained by the Cultural Ministry of China
6. Sections of the Galle Kachcheri Building to be rented out
- On a proposal made by Dr Jagath Balasooriya, Minister of National Heritage, the cabinet gave its approval to lease out portion of the Galle Fort Building which has been declared as a world heritage for commercial or suitable other purposes without harming it.
- It was also decided that the Urban Development Authority should renovate the building, retaining its archaeological and architectural value, to be converted to a Museum.