- Published on Thursday, 13 September 2012 12:43
- Hits: 4369
01/ A block of land at Rajagitiya for Excise Department Headquarters
• The proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to allocate a block of land 30.26 perches in extent at Rajagiriya Town, owned by the Urban Development Authority, to the Excise Department, through the Commissioner General of Lands, for the construction of its Head Office building, was approved by the Cabinet.
• The Excise Department’s Head office at Staple St Colombo 2 was shifted under the project proposal made for the Colombo Commercial Company land made by UDA.
02/ Coast Guard Department to be separated from the departmental structure
• The proposal made by the President, as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, the cabinet decided to amend Coast Guard Department Act No 41 of 2009, in order to bring in amendments to meet the present day requirements of the country.
• The new proposal will incorporate the organizational composition, command, discipline and authority with compliance to the functions of the coast guards.
• In order to obtain provision for those required facilities, the amendment proposed envisages its separation from the departmental administrative structure
03/ Bentota water supply scheme to be improved at a cost of Rs 790 M
• The Cabinet of Ministers granted its approval for a proposal made by Mr Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to proceed with expansion and improvement of the Bentota water distribution project at a cost of Rs 790 Million.
• This project will provide potable water to the people living in the Bentota area and the coastal belt of the Galle District and it covers 22 Grama Niladhari Divisions within the Bentota Pradeshiya Sabha.
• The successful completion of the project will improve the living standards of the people in the area and enhance social and economic development in the said area.
• The water supply scheme will be based on an extension of the existing Baddegama Group Water Supply Scheme. The project is estimated the cost Rs.790 million.
04/ Bilateral Agreement with Russian Federation on Mutual Legal Assistance
in Criminal Matters –
• The Cabinet on a proposal made by Mr Rauff Hakeem, Minister of Justice, decided to enter into a Bilateral Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters with the Russian Federation
• The Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Act No.25 of 2002 provides for the provision of assistance by Sri Lanka to foreign countries relating to criminal matters and for obtaining of similar assistance from such countries by Sri Lanka.
• The objective of this agreement is to improve the effectiveness of law enforcement of both parties relating to the investigation, prosecution and prevention of crime and confiscation of criminal proceeds.
05/ Regional Development Initiatives to be Fast Tracked under PPP
• On the initiative of Mr. Basil Rajapaksa, Minister of Economic Development, preparation of Detailed Plans and Bills of Quantities etc. of development activities in the respective regions, have been entrusted to the Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB), the State Engineering Corporation (SEC) and the Western Province Road Development - Authority, which are state organizations.
• These development activities include Provincial Road Development Projects, Weekly Fair Development Projects and Maternity and Childcare Clinics Improvement Projects.
• The proposals made by Mr Basil Rajapaksa, Minister of Economic Development, to obtain the services of Chambers of Construction Industry, organizations of contractors and accepted private sector construction entities recommended by the District Secretaries, in addition to the State agencies under the Public Private participation program was approved by the cabinet
06/ A Maritime Museum to be established at the Old Dutch Naval House in Trincomalee
• The proposal made by Dr. Jagath Balasuriya, Minister of National Heritage, to establish the proposed Maritime Museum at the Old Dutch Naval Commissioner's House in Trincomalee was approved by the Cabinet.
• Preliminary work relating to the above is being carried out by the Ministry and its remaining work is to be completed in line with the "Deyata Kirula'' National Development Programme scheduled to be conducted in the Eastern Province next year.
07/ 1316 Housing Units for under-served Settlements by UDA
• On a proposal made by the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, the cabinet decided to entrust the construction work of the Housing Development Programme for under-served Settlements by the Urban Development Authority to the State Engineering Corporation
• The following Housing Units are to be constructed under this programme:
o 816 Housing Units (storied buildings) at Kalinga Mawatha, Colombo 05;
o 500 Housing Units (storied buildings) at Angoda Hospital premises land; and
o 17 Housing Units as hospital quarters at Mandawela Road, Angoda hospital land.
08/ Supply of 40 Lakhs (4.0 Mn.) Vegetable Seed Packets for Home Gardening under Phase IV of "DIVI NEGUMA Programme –
• The proposal made by Mr Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, Minister of Agriculture, for the procurement of 40 1akhs of seed packets from six institutions, as recommended by the Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (CAPC), for distribution among farmers, was approved by the Cabinet.
• This project to be carried out under the phase IV of Divi neguma program will cost Rs 236 million
09/ International Day of the Girl Child on October 11
• On the proposal made at the 55th Meeting of the United Nations Commission on the status of women, the United Nations Organization has decided, with the consensus of all member countries of the Organization, to name 11th of October each year as the International Day of the Girl Child, with the view to ensuring social security, parental care and also to provide suitable solutions to the impediments faced by the child in the day to day life in the fields of education, health, sports etc.
• The proposal made by Mr.. Tissa Katalliyadda, Minister of Child Development and Women's Affairs, to declare 11 th of October each year as the International Day of the Girl Child, was approved by the Cabinet.
10/ Award of contract for the construction of Roads and Flyovers under Hambantota
Hub Development Project –
• The proposal made by the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Ports and Highways, to award the contract for the construction of Roads and Flyovers under Hambantota Hub Development Project to the China State Construction Engineering Corporation Limited, was approved by the Cabinet.
• The following Roads and Flyovers have been included for construction in a separate contract package in the above project:
o Mirijjewila - Sooriyawewa Road - 23.34 km.
o Sooriyawewa-Moraketiya-Embilipitiya Road - 18.28 km.
o Outer Circular Road 6.64 km.
o Ranna- Wetiya Road - 16.15 km.
o Wetiya-Sooriyawewa-Andarawewa Road - 18.53 km.
o Flyovers at Wetiya-Narnadagaswewa
• 85% of the total cost will be funded by the EXIM Bank of China and the balance 15% by the Government of Sri Lanka.
Compilation: M.Ali Hassen AD Publicity