- Published on Friday, 19 October 2012 12:01
- Hits: 2910
01. Kandy Lake and surrounding to be Developed
• Work on the development of the city of Kandy is now underway and on the proposal by the President, Cabinet approval was granted to entrust the development of the Kandy Lake and the wall surrounding it as well as the pavement, to the Ministry of Defence and Urban Development, with the view to preserve its historical value and to promote the scenic beauty of the city of Kandy.
• On an earlier decision the maintenance of the Nuwarawewa and the Sluice had been entrusted to Irrigation Department.
02. Rs 1000 million for Colombo Flood Mitigation Project
• Colombo Metropolitan Region is highly vulnerable to the effects of floods and on the direction of the Ministry of Defence and Urban Development, the Sri Lanaka Land Reclamation and Development Corporation has initiated several urgent short term measures to mitigate flood in and around Colombo.
• Water retention facilities around the Water’s Edge, Diyawanna Garden and at the lake at Sadaham Sevana of Gothami Rd Colombo is to be widened with dredging and drainage improvement.
• These projects include cleaning of existing canal system, dredging of flood retention areas, creating water retention lakes and controlling haphazard filling of low lying lands etc.
• Medium Term flood mitigatory measures have also been identified and implementation of these measures will be carried out under the Metro Colombo Urban Development
• The proposal made by the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, the Cabinet decided to allocate Rs 1000 million to proceed with the special flood control work programme initiated by the SLLR&DC for the year 2012.
03. Slave Island Area Redevelopment Project to be entrusted to TATA Housing Development Co of India.
• The proposal made by President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, entrust the task of developing the Slave Island area to TATA housing Development Co Ltd in India and its partner SG 18 Advisors & Consultants (Private)Ltd was approved by the Cabinet.
• The Urban Development Authority is presently engaged in the implementation of several projects in the city of Colombo to create more opportunities for urban investments and the housing development programme
• Around Eight Acres at Slave Island bordering former education dept site to the north, Malay St to the east Justice Akbar St, to the south Railway line to the west has been earmarked for this project where
• Around 456 house holders in the relevant lands will be provided with decent houses with all facilities within a period of two years in lieu of their individual properties and the relevant families have agreed to renounce their rights to claim compensation for the respective land plots.
• The total cost for providing alternate housing/commercial units including rental payments for temporary accommodation of the families is estimated to be about SLR 5874 million.
04. Prevention of Mosquito Breeding Act to be Amended
• Proposal made by Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to bring in amendments to the existing Act, No.11 of 2007, as recommended by the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Legislation, to enhance the powers of the relevant Authorities in the prevention of mosquito breeding, so as to curb the spreading of the dangerous dengue disease which has reached epidemic proportions, was approved by the Cabinet.
• Accordingly the minimum mandatory fine will be increased to Rs 5000.00 while empowering the Director General of Health Service and the Provincial Director of Health Services to declare any specific area as a “High Risk area” effective for a specific period.
05. 'Deyata Sevana' National Tree Planting Programme on 15th November
• The proposal made by Mr. Anura Priyadharashana Yapa, Minister of Environment, to conduct this year's National Ceremony of the Deyata Sevana National Tree Planting Programme on 15th November 2012, with the participation of all Ministries, Departments, Corporations, Statutory Boards, Provincial Councils, District and Divisional Administration, was approved by the Cabinet.
• The Deyata Sevana National Tree planting program was inaugurated on 15th November 2010 as a national program of planting 1.1 million trees to mark the President’s 65th Birth day and the second anniversary in office of Presidency. Due to its success Cabinet had proposed to continue it as an annual event from the year 2011.
06. National Museum Ordinance is to be replaced
• The proposal made by Dr. Jagath Balasuriya, Minister of National Heritage, to present the National Museums Bill prepared by the Legal Draftsman, incorporating the amendments recommended by the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Legislation, in Parliament, was approved by the Cabinet.
• Accordingly, the National Museum Ordinance No.31 of 1942 will be repealed and replaced
07. Ministerial Committee to study the adverse impact of the Usage of Chemical Fertilizer
Cabinet of Ministers decided to appoint a Ministerial Committee comprising of relevant Ministers, to examine the issues arising from the utilization of the Chemical Fertilizer and Agro Chemicals and make recommendations to the Cabinet on , measures to be taken to mitigate adverse effects of these to the environment and to the people.
This committee is to be assisted by an Officials' Committee consisting of officials from relevant ministries.