- Published on Thursday, 11 July 2013 15:35
- Hits: 1444
1. Recommendations of the Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2013 - the proposal made by H.E. the President, to give effect to the recommendations of the Finance Commission on the apportionment of funds to Provinces allocated by the Annual Budget and setting out other administrative measures that need to be adopted; and to present the said recommendations to Parliament for approval. was approved by the Cabinet.
2. Allocation of a Land at Hyde Park Corner, Colombo 02 to the People's Property Development Company Ltd. - A Subsidiary Company of People's Bank for Office Complex and Staff Training Centre - the proposal made by H.E. the President in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development to lease out the block of land referred to above belonging to the Urban Development Authority, to the People's Property Development Company Ltd., to construct a
multi-storeyed building complex to house their Staff Training Centre and for the Office of People's Leasing Company, subject to stipulations made by the General Treasury, was approved by the Cabinet.
3. Amending the Existing Regulations on Standards of Training. Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers (STCW) with Manila Amendment - 2010 - the Training Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers (STCW) is being carried out in accordance with the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers. These Regulations have since been amended and the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Ports and Highways, to publish the new Regulations under the Merchant Shipping Act No.52 of 1971, in the Government Gazette and enforce such Regulations with effect from 2013-07-01, was approved by the Cabinet.
4. Establishment of 04 New National Schools in Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu Districts - the proposal made by Hon. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, to grant the status of National Schools to Kilinochchi M.M.V. and Mulangavil M.M.V. in the Kilinochchi District and Vidiyananda College and MlMallavi M.M. V. in the Mullaitivu District and to develop them through absorbing into the 1000 Secondary Schools Development Programme, was approved by the Cabinet.
5. Hosting of the General Assembly and the Committee Meetings of the Association of Natural Rubber Producing Countries (ANRPC) in Sri Lanka - the ANRPC comprises of Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore. Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam and the Member Countries of the Association account for about 92% of the global production 'of natural rubber. The proposal made by Hon, Mahinda Samarasinghe, Minister of
Plantation Industries, to host the General Assembly of the Association, its Committee Meetings and the Annual Rubber Conference in Colombo from 08th to 13th October, 2013 and to proceed with the activities relating to same, was approved
by the Cabinet.
6. Amendments to the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Act, No.2 of 1996 - the proposal made by Hon, Rajitha Senaratne, Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development, to submit the Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
(Amendment) Bill to Parliament, after incorporating the amendments recommended by the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Legislation, and obtaining the clearance of the Attorney General for same. was approved by the Cabinet.
7. Town Centre Development at Kegalle - Relocation of SLTB Bus Depot and Development of Central Bus Stand - the existing bus stands are located in 03 locations creating traffic congestion in the Kegalle town. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to shift the existing bus depot to the land identified in Paragammana and the proposed bus stand to be developed in the existing depot land. to provide better facilities to the general public in Kegalle town and to allocate funds for the purpose, from 2013 to 2016, was approved by the Cabinet.
8. Programme funded by the Local Banks for the Rehabilitation of National Highways through Domestic Contractors - Award of Contracts - the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Ports and Highways, for the rehabilitation of the following highways/bridges through domestic contractors, as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), with funds to be provided by the local Banks, was approved by the Cabinet:
• Mirijjawila - Sooriyawewa Road • 23.3 km and Outer Circular Road - 6.6 km of Ham ban tot a Hub Development Project;
• Lunugamvehera - Kataragarna Road - 13.82 km
• Kurunegala–Narammala-Madampe Road - 40.87 km to 64.77 km
• Construction of a two lane bridge across Deduru Oya at Kadigawa
• Kadawalagedara – Withikuliya Road – 14 km
9. Asian Development Bank funded Northern Road Connectivity Project - the Government of Sri Lanka has received a loan of US $98 million from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) towards the cost of rehabilitation and improvement of around 120 km of national highways under the Northern Road Connectivity Project. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Ports and Highways, for the rehabilitation of the following road sections as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet:
- Vavunia - Horowupathana Road (A 29). - 24.00 km to 34.95 km
- Medawachchiya - Road (B 283) - 0 to 12.6 km
- Medawachchiya - Kebithigollewa Road (B 283) - 12.6 km to 25.4km
- Kebithigollewa - Padaviya Road (B 211) - 0 to 15,5 km
- Kebithigollewa - Padaviya Road (B211)- 15.5 km - 31.345 km
10. Tender for Supply 170,000 Vials of Meropenem for Injection – BP/USP, IG Vial - the proposal made by Hon, Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to award the above tender to the lowest responsive bidder as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
11. Implementation of Hambantota Waste Water Duposal Project - considering the need of a proper sewerage infrastructure which is a prime requisite for Hambantota due to the large scale development activities taking place in the area, the proposal made by Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainagc, to award the contract for the above project, as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
12. Construction of Elephant Pass Station In the name of "Senehasaka Thotupala" with the contribution of students and teachers of Government schools - the proposal made by Hon. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, to construct
the Elephant Pass Railway Station, comprising of a passenger terminal, rest rooms for passengers, restaurant etc., with the concurrence of the Ministry of Transport, utilizing funds amounting to Rs.15.5 million being contributions made by the
teachers and students under the purview of the Ministry of Education, was approved by the Cabinet.
13. Entrusting the Printing of Required School Text Books to Private Printing Institutions to be Distributed for the year - 2014 - the proposal made by Hon. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, to entrust the printing of 27,611.500 copies of 315 Textbook categories to 21 Printing Institutions at a cost of Rs.l,587,9S8,705.00, as recommended by the Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (CAPC), for distribution among school children and student monks for the year 2014, was approved by the Cabinet.
14. Procurement of 81 Nos. Small Buses for Rural Areas on Repeat Order Basis - the Ministry of Transport has already purchased 200 Nos. 33 seater buses as per the Cabinet decision of 2013-01-17, to be used for rural areas. The proposal made by Hon. Kumara Welgama, Minister of Transport to award the above procurement to MIs. Lanka Ashok Leyland PLC as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC) was approved by the Cabinet.
15. Deyata Kirula National Exhibition 2014 - this exhibition which is to be commenced on 4th February 2014, will be held at the premises of Wayamba University, Technical College and Central College of Kuliyapitiya, Permanent buildings to suit the needs of the exhibition and which could be used by these educational institutions after the exhibition, are to be constructed in these premises. The proposal made by Hon, Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, Minister of Telecommunication and Information Technology, to proceed with the relevant activities in association with other government institutions involved, was approved by the Cabinet.
16. Construction of a roof cover for the ancient Aukana Buddha Statue - the proposal made by Hon. (Dr.) Jagath Balasuriya, Minister of National Heritage, to construct a permanent roof cover for the long term conservation of the ancient
Aukana Buddha Statue, was approved by the Cabinet.
17. Financial assistance from the Asian Development Bank (ADD) for the implementation of the Southern Road Connectivity Project - a loan of US$ 75 million (approximately 9.6 billion) is to be obtained from the Asian Development
Bank for the improvements of 5 access roads to the Southern Expressway. In addition 33.5 km of the following 5 National Highways linking to 3 interchanges of the Southern Expressway are to be improved under this project:
• Moratuwa – Piliyandala – 2.5 km
• Ratmalana – Mirihana – 2.1 km
• Southern Expressway - Mathugama - 12.4
• Kirulapona - Homagama - 2.1 km
• Kesbewa - Pokunuwita - 14.4 km
The above proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, was approved by the Cabinet.
18. The Development of the Construction, Operation and Maintenance of a Length of 100 km on the proposed Northern Expressway for Enderamulla-Mirigama- Ambepussa Section and Mirigama - Kurunegala Section and Associated Property Development and Transport Logistic Facilities-theNorthern Expressway has been identified for implementation in the National Road Master Plan for 2007 - 2017. Phase I of this Expressway consists of four stages as follows:
Stage I - Enderamulla to Ambepussa via Mirigama - 53 km
Stage II - Mlrigama to Pellendeniya (Kurunegala) .- 39 km
Stage III - Ambepussa to Kandy - 46 km
Stage IV - Pellendeniya to Dambulla - 62 km
The Project is to be fully funded by China Merchants Holdings (International) Company Limited and China Merchants Huajian Highway Investment Company Limited. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Ports and Highways, for the appointment of a Cabinet Appointed Negotiating Committee (CANC) and a Project Committee (PC) to evaluate the Project Proposals, for the planning, designing, financing, construction and operation of the Stages I and II of the above project, was approved by the Cabinet.