02. Development of Riverside Park in Matara (Document No – 14)
The above project is implemented under the Matara Urban Development Project and the joint proposal made by Hon. Mangala Samaraweera, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Hon. Patali Champika Ranawaka, Minister of Megapolis and Western Development, to proceed with the project and to transfer lands which have already been acquired to UDA and to assign its maintenance to Matara Urban Council after the completion, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
03. Memorandum of understanding between Lakshman Kadiragamar Institute for International Relations and Strategic studies of Sri Lanka and Nepal Council of World Affairs (Document No – 15)
The proposal made by Hon. Mangala Samaraweera, Minister of Foreign Affairs, to sign the above MoU for exchanging knowledge, experience and information, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
04. Acquisition of an adjacent land for expansion of the Faculty of Agriculture of Sri Lanka Rajarata University (Document No – 17)
Annually about 150 students are enrolled to above faculty and governments policy is to increase intake by 5%-10%. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Lakshman Kiriella, Minister of Higher Education and Highways, to obtain funds for development of the land of 3.6 hectares which has already been acquired in this regard, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
05. Improvement of bus services to promote public transportation (Document No – 23)
Allocation of a Priority Bus Lane was implemented as a pilot project at Parliament Road from 12th to 23rd March 2017 with the assistance of Korean International Cooperation Agency and it shows a positive outcome in reducing traffic congestion. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Patali Champika Ranawaka, Minister of Megapolis and Western Development, to expand this concept further and to take action to attract middle class in using public transport services by improving their quality, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
Implement Bus Priority lanes in following road sections in busy hours
o Moratuwa-Ratmalana, Wellawatta-Kollupitiya in Galle Road
o From Parliament Junction to Rajagiriya, Borella, Maradana, Pettah and Colombo Fort in Parliament Road
o From roundabout in Chiththampalam A. Gardiner Mw to Pettah
o Thummulla Junction to Museum Junction
o Eye Hospital roundabout to Thummulla Junction
Promote importation of Low Floor air-conditioned buses through concessionary loan schemes
Prepare a common ticketing system with electronic card payment facilities
Improvement of three-wheeler/taxi parking facilities
06. Reconstruction of cultivation wells in dry zone to face drought situations (Document No – 26)
The proposal made by Hon. Duminda Dissanayake, Minister of Agriculture, to implement a programme to reconstruct cultivation wells in 14 districts in dry zone to continue agricultural activities in a drought situation, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
07. Improvement of Rural tanks cascade systems (Ellangawa) (Document No – 27)
The proposal made by Hon. Duminda Dissanayake, Minister of Agriculture, to improve develop 21 cascade systems (Ellangawa), which is a good mechanism to fight climate change, and 258 rural tanks under these systems in 9 districts in the country through the Agrarian Services Department within next 5 years, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
08. Obtaining additional allocations required in salary revision of Sri Lanka Police Service according to 2016 budget proposals (Document No – 32)
Rs. 3000 million in 2016 and Rs. 6000 million in 2017 were allocated to pay a special allowance of 40% for police officers and the proposal made by Hon. Sagala Ratnayake, Minister of Law and Order and Southern Development, to obtain further additional allocations of Rs. 1042 million required in this regard, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
09. Extension of project time frame of constructing Gokarella Police station (Document No – 33)
Above project is implemented at a cost of Rs. 95.71 million and about 30% of work was finished on 31 December 2016. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Sagala Ratnayake, Minister of Law and Order and Southern Development, to release the balance funds and to extend its time frame to 2017-2018, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
10. Expanding the scope and renovation of Hadabima authority of Sri Lanka (Document No – 34)
Main tasks of the above authority are to process and sale agricultural products and a special unit has been established in this regard. The proposal made by Hon. Sarath Fonseka, Minister of Regional Development, to implement recommendations made by the intellectual committee appointed on renovation of the authority to expand its activities across the island, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
11. Award of Contracts for construction of buildings in Universities of Colombo and Rajarata (Document No – 35)
The Cabinet has already approved selection of contractors through open competitive method. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Lakshman Kiriella, Minister of Higher Education and Highways, to award contracts as recommended by Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
12. Feasibility study for Hambantota Combined water supply and drainage project that cover the harbour and proposed industrial zone (Document No – 36)
The proposal made by Hon. Rauff Hakeem, Minister of City Planning and Water Supply, to obtain technical and financial assistance of China Heavy Machinery Corporation and to select a contractor through Swiss Challenge Method, for the above project aiming catering the water demand which is to be rapidly increased within next 05-20 years, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
13. Purchase of cloths for providing uniforms for Dhamma School Teachers 2017 (Document No – 38)
Providing uniforms for Dhamma School teachers has begun in 2004 and the proposal made by Hon. Wijayadasa Rajapaksa, Minister of Buddha Sasana, to directly purchase 72000 handloom sarees from Department of Textile Industry on the above purpose, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
14. Increase the limit of issuing Sri Lanka development bonds under the implementation of Public debt Programme 2017 (Document No – 44)
Considering the low liquidity situation and interest rates of treasury bills and treasury bonds, the proposal made by Hon. Ravi Karunanayake, Minister of Finance, to increase the limit of issuing Sri Lanka Development Bonds from USD 1500 million to USD 3000, including development bonds to be expired in this year, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
15. Cultural programme to be held in line with United Nations International Vesak Day Celebrations (Document No – 45)
Hon. S.B. Navinna, Minister of Internal Affairs, Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs, has informed the Cabinet of Ministers, that the above programme will be held on 12th May 2017 at BMICH and on 13th May 2017 at Nelum Pokuna Theatre.
16. Proposed Buddhist Centre to be constructed at Kahapola, Piliyandala (Document No – 46)
The Light of Asia Foundation will bear Rs. 500 million of the expense and its first phase is to be completed by the international Vesak day celebrations. The proposal made by Hon. Wijayadasa Rajapaksa, Minister of Buddha Sasana, to sign an agreement on its implementation between the Ministry of Buddha Sasana and Light of Asia Foundation, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
17. Memorandum of Understanding between India and Sri Lanka on cooperation in economic projects (Document No – 50)
The above proposal made by Hon. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
The Cabinet has noted that separate Cabinet Memorandums will be presented on joint ventures discussing with relevant parties by the relevant ministries.
18. Policy and Legal Framework for proposed act on prevention of terrorism (Document No – 52)
Considering the decision made on 04 April 2017 above framework was presented by Hon. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe the Cabinet of Ministers has decided to approve the framework and to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft the proposed act based on the said framework.
19. Construction of a sanitary waste dump for disposal of waste in Colombo Municipal Council (Document No – 53)
The committee appointed on the above matter has recommended to construct a waste dump to manage 400 MT of waste per day in a land of 5 acres in Muthurajawela area in Wattala Divisional Secretary's Division, and accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Faizer Mustafa, Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Government, to implement this project with immediate effect using allocations of the ministry allocated for 2017, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
20. Establishment of a city task force and an operating office for the beatification of Colombo city and suburbs (Document No – 54)
The proposal made by Hon. Faizer Mustafa, Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Government, to establish above bodies for resolving issues occurred with irregular waste disposal and to increase awareness of people in this regard, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
21. Gohagoda waste to compost/energy project (Document No – 55)
Above project has already been approved by the Cabinet and accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Duminda Dissanayake, Minister of Agriculture, to remove residents in the project area by paying compensation and to purchase the produced electricity through CEB, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
22. Providing relief assistance for the people affected due to disaster occurred at the Meethotamulla Garbage dump (Document No – 56)
The proposal made by Hon. Anura Priyadarshana Yapa, Minister of Disaster Management, to take following action as per the decisions made at meetings held on 16, 19 and 21 April 2017 chaired by H.E. the President, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
-Provide houses for people who lost houses in government's expenditure
-Provide an allowance of Rs. 50000/- for house rents for maximum of 03 months
-transport allowance for families moving to permanent houses
- provide dry rations and other facilities for displaced persons till they are resettled in permanent houses
-Provide financial assistance to a maximum of Rs. 250000/- for purchasing furniture
-Provide uniforms and textbooks for affected school children
-gazette the affected area as a risk zone.
23. Amendment to the code of criminal Procedure (Special Provisions) act no. 02 of 2013 (Rights of Detainees – access to legal counsel) (Document No – 57)
Above bill has been published in gazette of 03 March 2017 and Hon. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe informed the cabinet that further proposed amendments could be included during the Committee Stage. The information presented was considered by the Cabinet of Ministers.
24. Construction of Vocational Training centres at Panadura and Pahala Yagoda (Document No – 58)
Above centres are constructed respectively at costs of Rs. 370 million and Rs. 170 million, and the proposal made by Hon. Mahinda Samarasinghe, Minister of Skills Development and Vocational Training, to obtain required consultancy services from Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
25. Colombo national highways project – stage 1 – improvement of the road section from 2.90 km to 4.20 km and from 5.44 km to 7.70 km on Orugodawatta – Ambathale road (B435) (Document No – 59)
The proposal made by Hon. Lakshman Kiriella, Minister of Higher Education and Highways, to award the above contract to Komuthi-HCM Engineering JV as recommended by Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
26. Making available to individuals/institutions elephants from the Pinnawala Elephant orphanage and national zoological gardens (Document No – 60)
Maintenance of the present number of 88 elephants in a restricted land area of 30 acres at Pinnawala has become a difficult task. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Gamini Jayawickrama Perera, Minister of Sustainable Development and Wildlife, to provide some elephants to individuals and religious places under definite conditions, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
Recommendations on issuing orders for providing elephants for perahera, regularizing registration of domesticated elephants and ensuring their protection were also approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.