- Bio Safety Bill (Document No -11)
It is a timely need to take steps to minimize the damages caused to the bio diversity by releasing of organism created by gene technology to the environment.
Sri Lanka is a member of the Cartagena Protocol on Bio–safety, hence, legal provisions should be introduced to minimize the risk caused by use, promotion, sale, use in commercial activities, transport, import, export, re-export, transfer, disposal and release of such organism. The proposal made by H.E. the President Maithripala Sirisena, in his capacity as the Minister of Mahaweli Development and Environment, to draft a new act in this regard, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of Bridges in rural areas (Document No – 13)
It has been planned to construct 3500 -4000 bridges in rural areas and two projects in this regard have already been implemented with the financial support of United Kingdom and Netherland.
The governments of Hungary and Belgium also have agreed to extend their support in this regard, and the proposal made by the Hon. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe as the Minister of National Policies and Economic Affairs, to authorize the Ministry of Provincial Councils and Local government to call for proposals to implement two projects for the construction of bridges in rural areas, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Declaration of Ritigala Yan Oya National Park and Horowpathana National Park, Which the borders were amended (Document No – 14)
The proposal made by the Sustainable Development and Wild Life Minister Gamini Jayawickrama Perera, to declare following National Parks, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- (i) Ritigala Yan Oya National Park with an area of 427.8 hectares. Ritigala Elephant Transit Home which is the second ETH is established within this park.
- (ii) Horowpathana National Park, which the borders were amended.
- 10th International Civil Aviation Negotiation Conference of International Civil Aviation Organization ( ICAO) (Document No -15)
Above conference is to be held in Sri Lanka from 04th to 08th December 2017 and the proposal made by the Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva to sign an agreement between GOSL and ICAO on hosting the above event, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Sing Language Bill ( Document No – 16)
The deaf population of Sri Lanka is reported as 389,677 and the proposal made by the Social Empowerment, Welfare and Kandyan Heritage Minister, S.B. Dissanayake, to draft the above bill with the view of recognizing the sign Language for benefiting the above mentioned community, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Obtain a Land lot for construction of District Labour Offices in Ratnapura and Badulla. (Document No – 17 and 18)
Labour offices, District Labour offices and District Factory Inspection Engineer’s offices in above district are maintained in rented out buildings.
The proposal made by labour Trade Union Relations and Sabaragamuwa Development Minister W.D.J. Seneviratne, to obtain a land for construction of above office complexes, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Feasibility Study for “Visal Vavuniya” water supply project (Document No - 20)
The information presented by the City planning and Water Supply Minister Rauf Hakeem, on the MOU signed between National Water Supply and Drainage Board and M/S China National Complete Plant Import Export Corporation Limited on the above purpose, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Improvement of Sri Lanka graphite to utilize in rechargeable batteries (Document No -22)
The proposal made by the science, Technology and Research Minister Susil Premajayantha, to implement a research project through National Institute of Fundamental studies, on the above matter for gaining more profit by value addition, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of foot bridges for transportation of rural communities (Document No -23)
National Engineering Research & Development Centre has invented a foot bridge to be used in crossing over dangerous places across rivers and streams. 1500 such places with temporary foot bridge and 500 places without any cautious measure have been identified in Sri Lanka.
Accordingly, the proposal made by the Science, Technology and Research Minister Susil Premajayantha, to construct 1000 footbridges within next 03 years in above places, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Establishment of a Social Innovation Lab (Document No - 25)
The proposal made by the Science, Technology and Research Minister Susil Premajayantha, to establish the Social Innovation Lab as a pilot project in the Ministry of Science, Technology and Research, for checking the success of public policies before their implementation, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Accommodation facilities for students of Sri Lanka German Training Institute Kilinochchi (Document No - 28)
Above institute was established in 2016 and about 57% of its student are from outside Kilinochchi. Only 144 students can be provided accommodation in the institute and about 400 more students are to be enrolled in this year.
Accordingly, the proposal made by the Skills Development and Vocational Training Minister Chandima Weerakkody, to construct a new hostel for providing accommodation for 400 more students, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of a new auditorium in Gall City (Document No -29)
Many of the public functions in Galle are held in “Hall de Galle” and it is insufficient for such functions.
Accordingly, the proposal made by the Home Affairs Minister Vajira Abeywardana, to construct a new auditorium with a seating capacity of 2000 close to the southern Expressway entrance, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Establishment of urban solid waste disposal facilities in Aruwakkalu – Puttalam (Document No -32)
After the incident in Meethotamulla, solid waste disposal has become an issue and accordingly, the proposal made by the Megapolice and Western Development Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, to establish the waste disposal facilities and to commence waste disposal by 2020 was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Implementation of an aquaculture project in cages in the sea. (Document No -33)
The proposal made by the Fisheries and Aquatic Resource Development Minister Mahinda Amaraweera, to provide a land of 150 hectares on lease basis at Koddiyar area in Trincomalee District, owned by Sri Lanka Ports Authority, to Global Ceylon Sea Food (pvt) Ltd, for 30 years, to implement the above project was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Accelerated programme for providing seed paddy for Maha Season 2017/2018 (Document No - 38)
The proposal made by Agriculture Minister Duminda Dissanayake, to purchase and distribute 560,000 bushels of seed paddy as a measure to face the expected seed paddy shortage in the next season, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers. Approval was also given to charge only 50% of the value from farmers who were affected by the recent droughts.
- Strengthening the mechanism of implementing the Convention on the Rights of the Child. (Document No - 43)
Under the article 40 of the above convention steering committees in National, District and Regional levels have been established in 2000. The proposal made by the Women and Chief Affairs Minister Chandrani Bandara to expand the role and structure of these committees was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Providing a bursary to Monk Students in Pirivena Institutions (Document No - 44)
According to a proposal made by budget 2017, the proposal made by the Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam, to provide a ‘learning promotion grant’ to each privena institution for covering education related expenses of monk students, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Proposed MoU between Sri Lanka and Lebanon on Labour force (Document No - 50)
The proposal made by the justice and Foreign Employment Minister Thalatha Athukorala to sign the above MoU to improve safety and welfare of emigrant workers in Lebanon, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- supply, installation and implementation of an Air traffic control simulator for Civil Aviation Training Centre (Document - 51)
The proposal made by Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva, to award the above contract as decided by procurements Appeal Board, and recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee, to M/S, Adacel Technologies Limited, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of new academic buildings in Universities of Colombo and Ruhuna (Document No - 52)
The proposal made by the Higher Education and Highways Minister Lakshman Kiriella to award following contracts as recommended by SCAPC, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
*UoC - to Sunken Construction Pvt Ltd for LKR 516.54 Million
*UoR - to M.D.T. Construction for LKR 198.02 Million.
21, 22, 23 24. Proposals Made by the Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Minister Rajitha Senaratne (Document No – 55, 56, 57, 58)
Following proposals were approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- (i). Construction of Accident and Emergency Treatment Unit in Kegalle Base Hospital. Contact was awarded to M/S. Link Engineering (Pvt) Ltd for LKR 320.01 Million.
- (ii). Construction of Accident and Emergency Treatment Unit in Chilaw General Hospital. Contract was awarded to M/S AMSK Constructions (Pvt) Ltd for LKR 501.02 Million.
- - Establishment of Public – Private Partnership Enterprises for uplifting the Pharmaceutical productions industry in Sri Lanka. Cabinet has decided to implement 31 successful proposal made by investors.
- - Supply and installation of a whole body MRI Scanner for Sri Jayewardenepura General Hospital. Contract was awarded to M/S. Pimo (Pvt) Ltd for LKR 45 Million.
25-26. Proposals made by the Megapolis and Western Development Minister (Document 59, 60)
Following proposals made by Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka was approved by the Cabinet of ministers.
- Constructions of 115 housing units at Torrington Road, Colombo 07 Under Urban Regeneration Project
Contract was awarded to Subhasinghe Constructers and Earth Movers for LKR 395 million
- Housing project for middle class professionals at Kulasevana Watta, Kottawa.
Contract was awarded to Sathuta Builders Privet Limited for LKR 3,699 million
- Purchase of Liquid Petroleum Gas required for Litro Gas Lanka LTD (Document 61)
The proposal made by the Public Enterprises Development Minister Kabir Hashim to purchase the required 300,000 MT of LP Gas from M/S Shell International Eastern Trading Company in 2017-2018, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Increase cash flow of contractors of construction projects (Document 62)
Some contractors have faced difficulties in spending money on some projects due to various reasons and it has affected negatively in completing these projects.
Accordingly the proposal made by the Housing and Construction Minister Sajith Premadasa to introduce the mechanism to ease their cash how was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of a building complex for National Social Development Institution (Document - 63)
The proposal made by the social empowerment welfare and Kandyan Heritage Minister S.B. Dissanayake, to award the above contract to Sri Lanka State Engineering Corporation, at a cost of LKR 818.63 million as recommended by SCAPC, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Construction of a five stories building in Colombo Nursing School (Document no - 64)
The proposal made by the Health Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Minister Dr. Rajitha Senarathne to award the above contract to state Engineering Corporation for the immediate implementation of the project to enable training of 600 nurses per year was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Supply and distribution of 33672 new tyre sets for SLTB (Document No - 65)
The Proposal made by the Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva to award the above contract to M/S CEAT Kelani International tyres (PVT) LTD for LKR 1,115 million, as recommended by SCAPC, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Proposed mixed development project in Charmers Granaries, Colombo Fort (Document No -67)
The proposal made by the Megapolis Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka to select a suitable investor to develop the above mentioned land of 9 acres 3 roods and 27 perches under the Multimodal transport Hub Project was approved by the Cabinet Ministers
- Establishment of a Local Office of International Fund for Agricultural Development (document No- 69)
The proposal made by Foreign Affairs Minister Thilak Marapana to sign an agreement between government of Sri Lanka and IFAD on the above purpose, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
- Expected Programmed of budget debate for financial year 2018 (Document no. 71)
Following programme presented by Hon. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, was considered by the cabinet of Ministers.
- Budget speech 09 Nov 2017
- Debate on second reading 10,11,13,14 and 15 Nov 2017
- Committee stage debate from 16.11.2017
- Vote on third reading of budget 09.12.2017
- Appropriation Bill for year 2018 (Document No. 72)
The proposal made by The Finance and Mass Media Minister Mangala Samaraweera, to publish the Appropriation bill for year 2018 in gazette and present in parliament for approval, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers. It will be tabled in the parliament at the end of September 2017. According to the bill,
Total expenditure of the government - LKR 3,982 billion
Recurrent expenditure - LKR 1308.9 billion
Capital expenditure - LKR 668 billion
Total of income on foreign grants - LKR 2175 Billion
Loans to be obtained from foreign sources - LKR 1,813 Billion
- Traditional Technological Heritage Museum and Information Centre in Polonnaruwa (Document No. 75)
The joint proposal made by H.E. the President Maithripala Sirisena, and Internal affairs ,Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs Minister S.B. Navinna, to establish the above museum in Polonnaruwa ,that includes information on traditional technology since prehistoric era and governance, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.