The current collection of Solid Waste in the city of Colombo is about 700 MT per day and with the other urbanized local authorities in the Metro Colombo Region, the collection is about 1200 MT per day. It is proposed to construct a Sanitary Land Fill in Aruakkalu in the Puttalam District and to transport Solid Waste by train from a Transfer Station at Meethotamulla. The proposed Sanitary Land Fill will be constructed in keeping with international standards. The Railway Department has already completed the design work of rail transportation system and the preparation of specifications for locomotives and rolling stocks. The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of the Project has also been completed. The total cost of the Project is US $107 million (SLR 14017 million). The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
2. Extension of the Project Period of Smallholder Plantation Entrepreneurship Development Programme - this programme is being implemented by the Ministry of Plantation Industries under the loan assistance provided by the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD). The project has achieved considerable progress by adding 5087 ha of Rubber new planting in Moneragala and 157 ha of Tea replanting in the Mid Country. A total of 164 Village Rubber Development Clusters have been formed in Moneragala and 241 Entrepreneur Groups have been formed in the Mid Country enabling them to engage in income generating activities and around 18,000 smallholders have directly benefited from this project. The proposal made by Hon. Mahinda Samarasinghe, Minister of Plantation Industries, to extend the period of this programme as recommended by the IFAD, up to 2016-12-31, was approved by the Cabinet.
3. Widening and Improvement of 64.31 km of Roads in Central and Uva Provinces and Reconstruction of Thirteen (13) Bridges - the proposal made by H.E. The President, in his capacity as the Minister of Highways, Ports and Shipping, to award the contracts for the widening and improvements to the following road sections covering a length of 64.31 km, and also for the reconstruction of 13 bridges in the Central and Uva Provinces to a Chinese Construction Company, was approved by the Cabinet:
• Kandy - Kirimatiya Road (0.0 - 7.64 km)
• Ampitiya - Gurudeniya Road (0.0 - 2.25 km)
• Nuwara Eliya - Ragala - Udupussallawa Road (19.0 - 46.0 km)
• Welimada - Kirklees Road (0.0 - 17.83 km)
• Avissawella - Hatton - Nuwara Eliya Road (98.9 - 108.49 km)
4. Infrastructure Development of Jaffna, Sabaragamuwa, Kelaniya, Peradeniya, Buddhist and Pali and Eastern Universities - the proposal made by Hon. S.B. Dissanayake, Minister of Higher Education, to award the above contracts relating to infrastructure development of the above Universities, on a Turnkey Basis by calling for limited bids from five eligible contractors who have been successfully engaged in construction work, was approved by the Cabinet.
5. Establishment of Sri Lanka German Training Institute (SLGTI) in Killinochchi District with the Grant Assistance of Government of Germany - the Government of Republic of Germany has already signed an Agreement with the Government of Sri Lanka in respect of the project for the establishment of Sri Lanka German Training Institute (SLGTI), a fully fledged training centre in Killinochchi District under the National Apprentice and Industrial Training Authority of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Skills Development. It is intended to commence the construction of the Institute in October 2014 at a cost of Rs.700 million (approximately Euro 04 million) and complete it in 2015. The proposal made by Hon. Dullas Alahapperuma, Minister of Youth Affairs and Skills Development, to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
6. Renovation work of the Colombo National Museum - the proposal made by Hon. (Dr.) Jagath Balasuriya, Minister of National Heritage, to have the renovation work of the Colombo National Museum attended to by the Sri Lanka Army and to obtain the consultancy services for the purpose from the Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB), was approved by the Cabinet.
7. Acquisition of a New ICT System for the Credit Information Bureau of Sri Lanka (CRIB) - the Credit Information Bureau of Sri Lanka was set up in 1990 under the Credit Information Bureau Act, No.18 of 1990 as amended, to collect and collate credit information and to furnish such information to its member lending institutions. As the economic growth has improved due to peaceful conditions prevailing in the country and due to improvements in the macroeconomic environment, the credit demand has increased with greater demand for credit information by member financial institutions. The proposed Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Infrastructure of the CRIB would enable all financial institutions to send and receive credit information online, at a faster pace and improve the data quality and accuracy of credit information. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, to proceed with the related activities pertaining to the acquisition of a new ICT System for the CRIB, was approved by the Cabinet.
8. Visit to the People's Republic of China by Hon. Basil Rajapaksa, Minister of Economic Development as the Special Envoy of H.E. the President, pertaining to Trade and Economic Cooperation - 29th June to 05th July 2014 - on the information provided by Hon. Basil Rajapaksa, Minister of Economic Development pertaining to the above visit, Cabinet of Ministers noted the satisfactory progress achieved by the Minister at the discussions he has had with the leaders of the People's Republic of China which had focused on strengthening bilateral co-operation between Sri Lanka and the People's Republic of China with particular emphasis on fast-tracking the proposed Free Trade Agreement (FTA) process between the two countries, intensifying co-operation in trade and tourism sector and encouraging Chinese Companies to invest in Sri Lanka. Cabinet also noted that H.E. Xi Jinping, the President of the People's Republic of China will be visiting Sri Lanka in the near future and it will be the first ever visit of a Head of State of the People's Republic of China to Sri Lanka.