02. Memorandum of Understanding on setting up the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) - the President of the People’s Republic of China has proposed to establish the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) to ensure regional cooperation for sustainable economic and social development in Asia as well as to strengthen regional resilence against potential financial crises and Sri Lanka has been officially invited to join the said bank as a founder member. Sri Lanka is a founder member of two largest multilateral development financing institutions, i.e., the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank. Establishment of the AIIB will help to mobilize the much needed additional resources from inside and outside Asia, remove the financing bottlenecks faced by the individual economies in Asia and complement the existing multilateral development banks to promote sustained and stable growth in Asia. 22 countries across the region have indicated their willingness to join the said bank as founder members. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, to proceed with the related activities pertaining to the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding on the establishment of the AIIB, was approved by the Cabinet.
03. National Immunization Policy of Sri Lanka - the main objective of the immunization policy is to have a country free of vaccine preventable diseases of public health importance by ensuring the use of safe and quality vaccines relevant to the health care needs of the people in a sustainable and equitable manner. The Ministry of Health has developed this immunization policy in close collaboration with all stakeholders, including relevant professional bodies and Government Institutions. The above policy document submitted by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, was approved by the Cabinet.
04. 3rd International Conference on ‘Community Water Service’ held in Kandy from 22nd -24th August, 2014 – the 3rd International Conference on ‘Community Water Service’ was held from 22’ to 24 August in Kandy and this year’s theme for the Conference was ‘Water, Community Development and Prosperity’. About 750 participants which included local representatives from 475 Community Based Water Organizations had attended this Conference. The ‘Senkadagala Declaration, Sri Lanka’ was announced at this Conference. The Conference was organized by the Ministry of Water Supply and Drainage together with the National Water Supply and Drainage Board, National Community Water Trust and Lanka Rainwater Harvesting Forum and supported by UNICEF and International Water Management Institute. The above information was provided to the Cabinet by Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage.
05. Promoting Garments and related Industries in Welioya and Musali Divisional Secretaries’ Divisions - a survey conducted by the Sri Lanka Institute of Textile and Apparel and Sri Lanka Chamber of Garment Exporters in collaboration with the Welioya Divisional Secretariat has revealed that there are more than 2500 workers in the areas bordering Vavuniya, Anuradhapura and Trincomalee Districts, who are interested in working in garment industries and around 500 of them have already acquired the necessary skills by working at garment industries in other areas. It has been observed that construction of garment factories in these areas will uplift the living standards of the people who were resettled in the said areas by the Government after the conflict situation which prevailed some time back. The proposal made by Hon. Rishad Bathiudeen, Minister of Industry and Commerce, to establish 05 projects to promote the Garment and related industries in the Welioya Divisional Secretary’s Division in an extent of 50 acres of land belonging to the Sri Lanka Mahaweli Authority; and another 05 projects in the Musali Divisional Secretary’s Division in an extent of 25 acres of state land situated in Kallaru village in the Kondachchi Grarna Niladhari Division and to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
06. Signing of Memorandum of Understanding between Ceylon Electricity Board and the China Machinery Engineering Corporation of China to Provide Technical Cooperation of the Stable and Efficient Functioning of the Norochcholai Coal Power Project of 3x300 MW- the proposal made by Hon. (Mrs.) Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Minister of Power and Energy, to proceed with the activities pertaining to the signing of the above Memorandum of Understanding between the two Institutes, was approved by the Cabinet.
07. Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the Identification and Protection of Trafficking Victims - the National Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force chaired by the Secretary, Ministry of Justice has developed a set of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the identification and protection of trafficking victims. The objective of the SOP is to enhance the effectiveness of Sri Lanka’s anti-human trafficking efforts. The SOP is a National strategy developed in conformity with International Conventions to sensitize Government stakeholders on their roles and responsibilities in protecting victims and ensuring successful conviction of offenders with the view to protecting human rights of victims. The SOP prepared for the identification of protection of trafficking victims submitted by Hon. Rauff Hakeem, Minister of Justice, was approved by the Cabinet.
08. Agreement between the Government of Sri Lanka and the Government of the Republic of Belarus on Cooperation in the field of Tourism - the objective of this Agreement is to further strengthen and consolidate mechanisms of cooperation and promoting tourism between the two countries. The proposal made by Hon. Basil Rajapaksha, Minister of Economic Development, for signing of the above Agreement between the two countries, was approved by the Cabinet.
09. Social Integration Week 2014 - Progress Review - 23 Social Integration Programmes had been carried out during the Social Integration Week (14th to 20th July 2014) by the members of Language Societies of 23 Districts. The said programmes had enabled the members of the Language Societies to conduct activities to promote inter-ethnic harmony through language learning and attitudinal changes. Distribution of school equipment and erection of trilingual name boards in the Moneragala and Buttala Divisional Secretaries’ Divisions were also carried out during this period. Several other programmes relating to this event had also been carried out during the week. The above information was provided to the Cabinet by Hon. Vasudeya Nanayakkara, Minister of National Languages and Social Integration.
10. Wide Body Fleet Replacement of Sri Lankan Airlines - Hon.Piyankara Jayaratne, Minister of Civil Aviation, informed the Cabinet that Sri Lankan Airlines has finalized the Wide Body Fleet Replacement Plan, including the financing of the first 9 aircraft, the details of which are as follows:
* to purchase of six (6) A330-300 aircraft powered by Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines for delivery commencing in the last quarter of 2014 to 2015; and
* to lease an additional three (3) A350-900 aircraft to be delivered in 2017 as replacement for A330-200 aircraft.
Accordingly, the first brand new Airbus A330-300 aircraft is scheduled for delivery during the last week of October 2014.
11. Search and Rescue Services for Aircraft in Distress - Search and Rescue Arrangements between Sri Lanka and neighbouring countries such as Australia, India, Indonesia and Maldives - it is obligatory on the part of Sri Lanka, being a party to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (Chicago Convention - 1944), to make arrangements for the effective implementation of the International Standards and Recommended Practices contained in the said Convention. It is a requirement that every State enters into arrangements with neighbouring States to strengthen her ability to provide Search and Rescue Services in mutual cooperation and coordination with each other when the need for search and rescue arises. According to an international survey conducted relating to air safety measures adopted by countries (USOAP-20 13), Sri Lanka has attained the 1 9th place out of 191 countries in the world and the 4th place out of 34 countries in the Asia Pacific Region. The proposal made by Hon. Piyankara Jayaratne, Minister of Civil Aviation, to make certain adjustments to the original text of the Arrangements as requested by the Maldivian Authorities, which do not change the objective of the Arrangements, was approved by the Cabinet.
12. Formulation of a new Act to suit the present and future requirements by repealing the National Museums Ordinance No.31 of 1942 - the proposal made by Hon. (Dr.) Jagath Balasuriya, Minister of National Heritage, to publish the National Museums Bill prepared by the Legal Draftsman in keeping with the recommendations of the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Legislation, to suit the present and future needs of the Country, and to repeal the National Museums Ordinance No. 31 of 1942, and thereafter present the said Bill in Parliament for approval, was approved by the Cabinet.
13. Convening of the 55th Workshop Meeting of Heads of National Productivity Organizations (NPOs) of the countries that Possess Membership of the Asian Productivity Organization - The Asian Productivity Organization that was instituted centralizing Japan, as an International Organization, is facilitating member nations, in promoting the Productivity, in different sectors of Industries as well as agriculture. 19 countries in the Asian and Pacific Zones has procured Membership of this Organization. The 55th Workshop meeting of Heads of NPOs is to be held in Sri Lanka from 21st to 23 October 2014. The above information was provided to the Cabinet by Hon. Basheer Segudawood, Minister of Productivity Promotion.
14. Renovation of the Bandaranayake Building at Sri Lanka National Hospital - Sri Lanka National Hospital which provides high level patient care services to the Sri Lankan population, celebrates its 150th Anniversary in 2014. Among the buildings in the National Hospital, Bandaranayake Building is a main building complex and it accommodates a number of units such as the Intensive Care Units, Surgical Theatres, Neuro Surgery Unit, Radiology Unit, ENT and Plastic Surgery Units etc. The proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to award the contract of the renovation project of the Bandaranayake Building at Sri Lanka National Hospital, to the Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB) at a cost of Rs.190,236,982.37, was approved by the Cabinet.
15. Construction of a New Building Complex for the Ministry of Health - the proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to award the contract for the construction of a new ten (10) storied building complex for the Ministry of Health in Colombo at a cost of Rs.3,896,553,840.00, to Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB), with the view to accommodating all units under the Ministry of Healtli in the said building complex was approved by the Cabinet.
16. Jaffna - Killinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project - Construction of Water Towers at Puttur, Meesalai, Poonakari, Navatkuly, Kaddudai, Velani and Mandaitivu (Package 1) - Jaffna - Killinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project is being implemented by the National Water Supply and Drainage Board with assistance from the Asian Development Bank, Agence Francaise de Development (AFD) and the Government of Sri Lanka. There are 13 major packages to be implemented for various components of this project and the above is one such package. The proposal made by Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to award the above tender to the lowest evaluated substantially responsive bidder, as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
17. Jaffna - Killinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project - Construction of Water Towers at Palai, Kodikamam, Nallur, Karainagar, Pungudutivu, Kayts, Vaddukkodai & Jaffna Municipal Council (Old Park) - Package 2 - there are 13 major packages to be implemented for various components of this project and the above is one such package. This project is being implemented with funding from the Asian Development Bank, France, and the Government of Sri Lanka. The proposal made by Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister of Water Supply and Drainage, to award the above tender to the lowest evaluated substantially responsive bidder, as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet. Cabinet decided that the Ministry of Water Supply and Drainage should obtain the concurrence of the Northern Provincial Council for the project, as it is reported that certain political leaders in the area are not in favour of diverting the excess water of Iranamadu tank to Jaffna.
18. Clean Energy & Network Efficiency Improvement Project - Package 1 - Mannar Transmission Infrastructure - Lot - A: Augmentation of Vavuniya 132/33kV Grid Substation and Construction of Mannar 132/33kV Grid Substation - the proposal made by Hon. (Mrs.) Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Minister of Power and Energy, to award the above tender to the lowest evaluated substantially responsive bidder, as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
19. Construction of the 03 remaining five storied buildings under the Soysapura relocation Project - on the proposal made by Hon. Wimal Weerawansa, Minister of Construction, Engineering Services, Housing and Common Amenities, for the award of contract for the above project, Cabinet approval was granted to award the contract to the State Engineering Corporation (SEC).
20. Award of Contract for the construction of Migrant Resource Centre of Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment at Hali-Ela, Badulla - Cabinet approval has already been granted to construct the Migrant Resource Centre of the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment at Hali-Ela, Badulla. The proposal made by Hon. Dilan Perera, Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Welfare, to award the above contract as recommended by the Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (CAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
21. The Service Minute of the Sri Lanka Principals’ Service prepared in terms of the Public Administration Circular 06/2006 - on the proposals submitted by Hon. Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, policy clearance was granted by the Cabinet for the implementation of the Service Minute of the Sri Lanka Principals’ Service amended in terms of the Public Administration Circular 06/2006 and approved by the Public Service Commission.
22. Proposed Parliamentary Programme for the Appropriation Bill for the Year 2015 - Cabinet noted the above Parliamentary Programme which will be as follows:
* Budget Speech - 2014-10-24
* Second Reading Debate - from 20 14-10-25 to 2014-11-01 (seven allotted days)
* Committee Stage Debate - from 20 14-11-03 to 2014-11-24 (seventeen allotted days)
23. International Conference on Environment and Forestry- 2014 - the Faculty of Environment and Forestry of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura has planned to conduct an international conference on environment and forestry on 24-25 October 2014 and arrangements have been made to obtain the technical contribution of the resource persons of the Faculty of Environment and Forestry and of this Conference for the research and development activities of the Ministry of Environment and Renewable Energy and its affiliated institutions. The proposal made by Hon. Susil Premajayantha, Minister of Environment and Renewable Energy, to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.