02. Implementation of the Master Plan of the National Human Resources and Employment Policy - the National Human Resources and Employment Policy (NHREP) is the Policy Framework of the Government that would govern its human resource development work and action to be taken to provide productive and freely chosen employment to both men and women in Sri Lanka and it covers a number of subject areas that are of relevance and significance in human resources development and employment promotion work. The proposal made by Hon. D.E.W. Gunasekara, Minister (Senior) for Human Resources to implement the Master Plan prepared for the purpose and to proceed with the matters connected thereto, was approved by the Cabinet.
03. Mechanism for Settlement of Disputes and Promotion of Social Dialogue in the Public Service - it has been observed that a strong and efficient public service is a crucial factor in achieving the Government's development goals and providing the citizens with an uninterrupted delivery of goods and services. The proposed mechanism of prevention and settlement of employee / management disputes is based on a three pronged strategy, namely, dialogue / consultation, mediation and arbitration. The proposal made by Hon. Ratnasiri Wickremanayaka, Minister (Senior) for Good Governance and Infrastructure, to extend the activities of the pilot phase of the project held at the Ministry of Health to all other Ministries was approved by the Cabinet.
04. Providing Priority for the Local Pharmaceutical Manufacturers of Western Drugs when Drugs are purchased for the State Healthcare Services - the proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health to give priority for the local manufacturers of western drugs when drugs are purchased for the State Healthcare Services, was approved by the Cabinet. This process would reduce expenditure of foreign exchange involved in the procurement and transport of drugs and will further lead to the reduction of storage space requirement.
05.Mental Health Act of Sri Lanka- the Mental Disease Ordinance Chapter 559 is the current legislation relating to mental health which is based on the concepts and attitudes to mental disorder that prevailed in 1873 when this Law was first enacted. Many changes have taken place since then and the need to revise the existing Ordinance has been recognized. Accordingly, the proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft new legislation for the purpose, was approved by the Cabinet.
06.Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) between Republic of Korea and Sri Lanka on further strengthening the bilateral relationship and to expand technical co-operation between the two countries - the proposal made by Hon, (Mrs.) Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Minister of Power and Energy, to sign the above Memoranda of Understanding between the two countries, to further strengthen the bilateral relationship and to expand the technical co-operation between the two countries, was approved by the Cabinet.
07.Vesting of a Land for the Sports Complex including other Development Activities of the Richmond College, Galle - Richmond College, Galle is a leading school in the Southern Province with a student population of 4,400. The proposal made by Hon, Bandula Gunawardena, Minister of Education, to vest a part of the land called Keraduwa Watta belonging to the Southern Development Authority, with the Ministry of Education as a free grant, for the construction of the Sports Complex of Richmond College, Galle was approved by the Cabinet.
08. The Eleventh Session of the Compliance Committee, the Eleventh Session of the Standing Committee on Finance and Administration and the Eighteenth Session of the Commission of Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (lOTC), from 26th May to 5th June, 2014 ~ the Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (lOTC) is an intergovernmental organization mandated to manage Tuna and Tuna like species in the Indian Ocean and adjacent seas in which Sri Lanka is a member state. The objective of the Commission is to promote cooperation among its members and to encourage sustainable development of the fisheries sector. The proposal made by Hon. Rajitha Senaratne, Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development, to proceed with the activities relating to the hosting of the above Conference was approved by the Cabinet.
09. Obtaining Membership of International Seed Testing Association for Testing of the Quality of Local and Imported Seeds - International Seed Testing Association is an Institution having global recognition which undertake seed testing and distribute its research outcome among member countries, providing opportunities for them to ensure uniformity in seed testing. The proposal made by Hon. Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, Minister of Agriculture, for the payment of the Annual Membership Fee, was approved by the Cabinet.
10. Establishment of the Sri Lanka Ocean University - the proposal made by Hon. Dullas Alahapperuma, Minister of Youth Affairs and Skills Development, for the Establishment of the Sri Lanka Ocean University in place of the National Institute of Fisheries and Nautical Engineering and to present the relevant Bill prepared for the purpose in Parliament and to seek funding for its implementation, was approved by the Cabinet. Some of the main objectives of the establishment of the said University are as follows:
1. Provide for University education in the fields of fisheries, marine sciences, maritime technology and allied fields.
2. Offer vocational and technical courses of study relating to fisheries and allied fields in order to cater to the manpower needs of the relevant areas.
3. Disseminate knowledge relating to fisheries, marine and maritime sectors among persons engaged in fisheries science and related fields.
11. Holding of the World Conference on Youth, 2014 in Sri Lanka - Cabinet noted the progress of the activities relating to the World Conference on Youth 2014 to be held in Sri Lanka in collaboration with the United Nations. About 3000 applications have been received from different international youth organizations and civil societies intimating their willingness to participate as observers. 350 international youth delegates and 100 local delegates have been selected on selection criteria by a selection panel. Participation of Ministers of Youth Affairs of 11 countries and National Youth delegates from 53 countries at this Conference have so far been confirmed.
12. Tender for Supply of 200,000 Vials of Meropenem Injection 19 Vial & 185,000 Vials of Meropenem Injection 500mg Vial - the proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to award the supply of the 25% of the quantities of the two items referred to above as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAP.C) and as indicated below, was approved by the Cabinet:
1. Meropenem Injection 1g Vial - 50,000 vials; and
2. Meropenem Injection 500mg Vial - 46,250 vials.
13. Greater Colombo Waste Water Management Project - Funded by Asian Development Bank - Rehabllitation of selected 10. km of Sewer Lines and Condition Assessment of 125 km of Sewer Lines within Colombo Municipal Council Area - the Government of Sri Lanka has received a loan of US $116.63 million from the Asian Development Bank for the Greater Colombo Waste Water Management Project. The proposal made by Hon. A.L.M. Athaulla, Minister of Local Government and Provincial Councils, to award the above contract as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC), was approved by the Cabinet.
14. Construction of a New Three Storied Building for District Secretariat, Ratnapura - Cabinet approval has already been granted for the construction of a new three storied building for the District Secretariat, Ratnapura at a total cost of Rs.696.l63 million. The proposal made by Hon. W.DJ. Seneviratne, Minister of Public Administration and Home Affairs, to award the above contract as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC) and to proceed with the related activities, was approved by the Cabinet.
15. Submission .of the Annual Report 2013 of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka to Parllament - the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, to submit the, Annual Report of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka for the year 2013 to Parliament, was approved by the Cabinet.
16. Widening and Improvements to Airport Runway and Apron at Ampara Airport - Approval for Variations to the Contract - the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Highways, Ports and Shipping to revise the contract price of the above project as recommended by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPe) and Cost Estimate Examination Committee (CEEC), due to the changes made to the design of Runway and Apron at the Ampara Airport, was approved by the Cabinet.