(01)Proposed Lotus Mall and Recreational Complex along with the Lotus Tower - the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) is constructing the Colombo Lotus Tower (CLT) which is a 350 m high multifunctional tower and an entertainment centre at D.R. Wijewardena Mawatha, çolombo 10. It is also expected to develop the land adjoining CLT as a suitable pleasure garden by constructing necessary infrastructure facilities including a parking complex. The structural work of the Tower is expected to be completed by June 2015. On a proposal made by H.E. the President, the Cabinet approval was granted to acquire an additional extent of land from the adjoining land for the above purpose and to proceed with the related activities.
01. Creation of a mechanism for regulation of Programmes implemented with the objective of ensuring mutual friendship and trust among communities - in the recommendations made by the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) special emphasis has been made on promoting coexistence among communities. Various Government Institutions are implementing programmes and projects based on the recommendations of this Commission from national level to regional level. The following proposals made by H.E. the President in this regard were approved by the Cabinet:
* to appoint a Cabinet Sub-Committee on Social Reconciliation and Coexistence among Communities presided over by H.E. the President and comprising of Hon. Ministers to monitor and facilitate the implementation of the LLRC I recommendations aimed at strengthening of coexistence among communities; and
* to appoint a Committee of Officers comprising of Ministry Secretaries and presided over by the Secretary to the President who functions as the Chairman of the Committee which supervises the implementation of the recommendations of LLRC to assist this Cabinet Sub-Committee.
01. Establishment of a Human Heart Valve Bank - it is estimated that approximately 2500 to3000 children are born with congenital heart defects in Sri Lanka annually and around 2000 of them need corrective surgery. The current practice in Sri Lanka is to use imported bovine grafts (Tissue valves) which cost about Rs. 300,000/- per graft which is borne by the Government. With the rapid advancement in healthcare offered to children with heart diseases in Sri Lanka, the establishment of a Human Heart Valve Bank to provide cardiac valves and tissues necessary for valve replacement and repair of some of the congenital and acquired heart diseases has become a priority. The process of establishing a Human Heart Valve Bank had been initiated through the Children's Heart Project of Sri Lanka and the Oxford Tissue Bank has already agreed to provide the necessary technical support and advice for the purpose. The proposal made by Hon. Maithripala Sirisena, Minister of Health, to establish a Human Heart Valve Bank at the Lady Ridgeway Hospital in Colombo at a cost of about Rs. 30 million, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. The Implementation of Priority Water Supply Projects with Financial Assistance from Local Banks - the proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, for the implementation of the Ruhunupura Distribution Water Supply Project and the Ampara Distribution Network Water Supply Project with funds to be provided by domestic banks and for the National Water Supply and Drainage Board to enter into Loan Agreements with such banks, was approved by the Cabinet.
1. Municipal Solid Waste Disposal System for Metro Colombo Region - Transfer and Disposal of Municipal Solid Waste at Aruakkalu, Puttalam - Metro Colombo Solid Waste Management Project - the Government has been looking for an environmentally acceptable and economically feasible solution for the disposal of Municipal Solid Waste in the Metro Colombo Region.
01. Regulation of Insurance Industry (Amendment) Bill - Cabinet approval was granted to refer the above Bill presented to the Cabinet by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Finance and Planning, to the Cabinet Sub-Committee on Legislation for its recommendations, in the first instance. The Bill intends to introduce amendments to the Regulation of Insurance Industry Act, to enable the following:
1. Asia Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development held in Thailand - a delegation led by Hon. Prof. Tissa Vitarana, Minister (Senior) for Scientific Affairs attended the above meeting held in Thailand recently. The aim of the forum was to reach global agreement on a strong post - 2015 development agenda that builds on the foundation laid by the Millennium Development Goals. The forum had provided a platform for consultation at regional level among Government, Business and Civil Society representatives from over 32 Member States and other relevant stakeholders representing UN Agencies. The above information was provided to the Cabinet by Hon. Prof. Tissa Vitarana, Minister (Senior) for Scientific Affairs.
01. Recommendations of the Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2014 - the proposal made by H.E. the President, to give effect to the recommendations made by the Finance Commission for the Financial Year 2014, on apportionment of funds to Provinces allocated by the Annual Budget and setting out other administrative measures that need to be adopted, and to present the said recommendations in Parliament for approval was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Resettlement of Underserved Settlements in the City of Colombo - the Urban Development Authority (UDA) has planned to construct about 65,000 Housing Units for resettlement of shanty dwellers in underserved settlements in the city of Colombo. It is expected to construct multi-storied condominium apartments with all common amenities to resettle the families. The released lands will be utilized for the construction of such apartments and also for mixed development projects, tourism activities, maintenance of reservations and recreational activities in keeping with the City of Colombo Development Plan. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to vest some of the state lands identified for the purpose with the UDA as free grants, was approved by the Cabinet.
01. Resettlement Program for the Occupants of Underserved Settlements and Temporary Shelters in the City of Colombo and its Environs - the Government has initiated a programme to accelerate the Underserved Resettlements in the city of Colombo to be implemented by the Urban Development Authority and the objective of this programme is to provide houses with modem facilities to upgrade the living standards of the underserved occupants. The proposal made by H.E. the President, in his capacity as the Minister of Defence and Urban Development, to construct a 15 storied housing complex for the purpose was approved by the Cabinet.