May 23, 2019
tami sin youtube  twitter facebook

    Govt. to continue with traffic fine Featured

    December 08, 2016

    The government stood tough on its decision to continue with the Rs.25, 000/- fine on seven traffic offences despite the island wide strike the private bus unions and some other transport groups conducted recently.


    Co-Cabinet spokesman Dr. Rajitha Senarathne addressing the weekly Cabinet briefing at the Parliamentary premises yesterday said that government may not revoke the fine and further discussions will be held regarding the high speed and the overtaking from the left side.


    In 2014, nearly 2,400 died from road accidents and the numbers have increased to 2,415 last year. According to the Minister over 2,400 deaths were reported during the first 10 months this year. With the proposed fines the number of vehicle accident related deaths has reduced.  


    Deputy Minister of Parliamentary Reforms and Mass Media Karunarathne Paranawithane responding to journalists on destroying public property said: “Pelting SLTB buses during the strike calls for tough legal actions against the offenders. About 50 were arrested so far in connection to pelting incidents. There was a political agenda behind the strike.”

    dgi log front

    recu

    electionR2

    Desathiya