88% of land in the Northern Province under the control of Security Forces has been released to the original owners and President Maithripala Sirisena says the government has a clear policy to release the remaining 12% of the land also to its original owners promptly. The President further said that steps will be taken in the next two weeks to release the lands, which are still under the control of Security Forces, belongs to several schools including the Myliddy school.
Vidulka National Efficiency Awards Ceremony 2018 was held under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena at Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference hall, Colombo yesterday (21st).This award Ceremony is organized annually by Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy and Sri Lanka Sunithya Energy Authority with the intention of developing the efficiency of all the sectors related to power and energy and advancing the usage of renewable energy sources.
The Hajj festival demonstrates the importance of unity and commitment in guiding the world to achieve long-lasting peace, stated Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in a message marking Hajj.He called on all Sri Lankans to be united as a nation to ensure a better future for the country. The full text of the Prime Minister’s message:
As millions of Muslims around the world come together with the common purpose of religious observance to Mecca in the spirit of unity, the festival of Hajj brings the message of true value of reconciliation as aspired by humanity, stated President Maithripala Sirisena, in a message marking Hajj.
At a special function held today (August 20), President Maithripala Sirisena paid obeisance to the Chief incumbent of Dediyawela Sri Dhammrama Piiriven Vihara, Chief of Sanhga of Benthara Vihara sector, retired Senior Lecturer Ven. Dediyawela Thilakasiri Thera who was appointed as the Anunayaka of Kotte Sri Kalyani Samagri Dhamma Maha Sangha Sabha.
President Maithripala Sirisena in a letter addressed to United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres yesterday said that former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan remained a strong advocate for the norms, values and principles of the United Nations Charter and stood firmly as a voice for peace, human rights, dignity and the conscience of humanity, even following his departure from the post of Secretary General.
By the end of 2017, the government has generated 700,000 income sources including 430,000 direct employments, self-employments and foreign workers, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said yesterday. The Prime Minister also said that during the two year span from 2015 to 2017, the number of employees receiving pension or EPF schemes have increased from 7.8 million to 8.2 million.
Prime Minister Wickremesinghe also said that the government’s target is to decrease the total debt of the country to 60% of the Gross Domestic Product by 2025.The Premier made these observations speaking at the ceremony held to handover government appointments to 4,100 graduates as development officers, under the graduate scheme. The ceremony was held at Temple Trees last evening.
Youth Affairs and Southern Development Minister Sagala Ratnayaka, Home Affairs Minister Vajira Abeywardena, National Policies and Economic Affairs State Minister Niroshan Perera, UNP MPs Hesha Vithana and MP Kavinda Jayawardena also participated in the event. Prime Minister Wickremesinghe observed that the present government had to take numerous unpopular decisions owing to the debt ridden country that it had to shoulder in 2015.
The “State Photography Awards Ceremony 2018 “was held at Nelum Pokuna Theatre under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday (19th). The National Association of Photographers, the Art Council of Sri Lanka, Ministry of Higher Education and Cultural Affairs and Department of Cultural Affairs jointly holds this Ceremony with the purpose of popularizing the art of photography and enhance the high quality and good taste of photography.