02. Allocation of a land to establish a regional centre of the Open University of Sri Lanka at Badulla
The Open University of Sri Lanka was established with the objective of providing quality higher education for those who miss the university entrance as well as other higher educational opportunities, and it is planned to setup a Regional Centre of the OUSL in Badulla for the benefit of the youth in Uva Province.Accordingly,the proposal made by Hon. LakshmanKiriella, Minister of Higher Education and Highways, to allocate a land of 2 acres, 2 roods and 3.2 perches in Hingurugamuwa at the Badulla Divisional Secretariat Division which is selected to setup the Regional Centre, for the OUSL, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
03. Establishment of a National Science Centre
The National Science Centre will be established in the proposed Science City which is to be built in Malabe as a national icon of science. The proposal made by Hon. SusilPremajayantha, Minister of Science and Technology, to establish the NSC comprised of exhibition galleries on wonder of nature, agriculture, earth, climate change and natural disaster, marvels of the human body, industrialization and technological revolutions, ABC of science, space and astronomy, traditional and indigenous knowledge, hall of fame etc, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
04. Revoking the Homoeopathy Act No. 7 of 1970 and getting a new act passed in its place
Approval of the Cabinet has been already granted for the above matter. The proposal made by Hon. RajithaSenaratne, Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine, to present the Homeopathy Bill in the parliament which was drafted by the Legal Draftsman to make provisions for establishment of the Homoeopathic Medical Council, registration of medical professionals and pharmacists, registration of Homoeopathy Institutions, and promotion, nurture and regulation of the Homoeopathic Therapy, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
05. Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and the Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy of the Federal Republic of Germany on cooperation of sustainable development in the energy sector of Sri Lanka
The proposal made by Hon. RanjithSiyambalapitiya, Minister of Power and Renewable Energy, to sign the above MoU during the official visit of H.E. the President to the Republic of Germany on 16th and 17th of February for the cooperation in the fields of Development of electricity generation in renewable energy, research and development regarding the renewable energy, research and development in plants and equipment in renewable energy, introduction of clean technologies for thermal power generation, and trainings and education in the field, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
06. Implementation of the Food Production National Programme (2016-2018)
The proposal made by Hon.DumindaDissanayake, Minister of Agriculture, to implement the following proposals, with regard to observations made at the meeting held on 25-01-2016 chaired by H.E. the President with the representatives of private companies engaged in agriculture and food production, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
• When importing any crop as consumer commodities which are being promoted for cultivation under Food Production National Programme, to make it compulsory the obtaining of clearance from the Department of Agriculture prior to ordering.
• When importing those crops on market requirement giving the opportunities for private sector companies and establishments engaged in promoting those crop cultivations
• Introduction of a methodology for testing sanitary condition of imported crops and to ensure their quality and standard.
07. The National Strategic Plan to Monitor and Combat Human Trafficking 2015-2019
Human Trafficking is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable, often described as modern-day slavery. Sri Lanka has ratified the UN protocol to prevent, suppress and punish trafficking in persons, especially women and children (Palermo Protocol) in 2015. The National Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force, recognizing the importance of a multi-stakeholder approach to combat the serious offence of human trafficking, has developed a five year National Strategic Plan to Monitor and Combat Human Trafficking. The Strategic Plan presented by Hon. Wijayadasa Rajapaksa, Minister of Justice, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
08. Project for issuing of internationally recognized Continuous Discharge Certificate and Certificate of Competency for Sri Lankan Seafarers
A considerable number of Sri Lankan officers are serving in foreign naval companies as per the demand on them because of their knowledge, skills and good attitudes which earns a significant foreign exchange for the country. It is a legal requirement to obtain the above mentioned certificates issued by Director General of Merchant Shipping Secretariat. There are some aspects in Sri Lankan certificates that should be improved to suit the international standard. The proposal made by Hon. ArjunaRanatunge, Minister of Ports and Shipping, to issue aforesaid certificate in an international standard including biometric details, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
09. Construction of 40000 houses for the plantation community in Uva and Central Provinces under Indian Grant Programme
As per the MOU signed in 2012 between the Government of India and the Government of Sri Lanka, 40000 houses are planned to be constructed within 03 years from 2016-2019 for estate workers in Uva and Central Provinces. Under the phase 1 of the programme, 1,134 houses will be constructed and all the preliminary activities have been finalized. Preliminary activities have been commenced to build the rest 2,866 houses. Each house is to be constructed in a land area of 7 perches with the floor area of 550sq.ft. at a total cost of Rs. 1,120,000.00. The proposal made by Hon. PalaniThigambaram, Minister of Hill Country New Villages, Infrastructure and Community Development, to enter into a MoU with the Government of India, which specify the responsibilities and tasks of each party, to proceed with this project, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
10. UNITERRA Volunteer Cooperation Programme
Uniterra is a volunteer cooperation and internationaldevelopment programme which is jointly implemented by the World University Service of Canada and Centre for International Studies and Cooperation in Canada and it is planned to be implemented in Sri Lanka in 2016-2020.The programme which expects to cover around 80,000beneficiaries will be granted 2.7 million Canadian Dollars by the Government of Canada. The proposal made by Hon. Prime Minister RanilWickremesinghe, in his capacity as the Minister of National Policies and Economic Affairs, to sign a MoU with the Government of Canada for implementation of the above programme, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
11. Framework arrangement between the Government of Republic of Korea and the Government of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka concerning loans from the Economic Development Cooperation Fund of Exim Bank of Korea from 2016-2018
The Government of Korea has agreed to provide a grant not exceeding US$ 300 million for mutually agreed projects within 2016-2018 through Economic Development Cooperation Fund of the Exim Bank. The proposal made by Hon. Prime Minister RanilWickremesinghe, in his capacity as the Minister of National Policies and Economic Affairs, to enter into a Framework Agreement with the Government of Korea on the above purpose, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
12. Tender for supply of 475,000 vials of DesferrioxamineMesylate for Injection BP, 500mg
Above vials are used in treating patients with thalaseemia. The proposal made by Hon.RajithaSenaratne, Minister of Health and Indigenous Medicine, to award the above tender to the bidder recommended by the Cabinet Appointed Standing Procurement Committee for a price of US$ 1,413,125.00, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
13. Tender for supply of 700,000 vials of Biphasic Isophane Injection BP, 30%/70% 1000IU/10ML
Above drug is used in treating diabetic patients. The proposal made by Hon.RajithaSenaratne, Minister of Health and Indigenous Medicine, to award the above tender to the bidder recommended by the Cabinet Appointed Standing Procurement Committee for a price of US$ 1,505,000.00, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
14. Construction of a Surgical Unit and Supply of Medical Equipment at Teaching Hospital, Batticaloa
The Teaching Hospital of Batticaloa renders its service to around 2 million people in and around the Eastern Province. In 2015, there were 95,959 inward admissions which 40% out of them were surgical patients. In the said year 18,378 surgeries have been done in the hospital. However the infrastructure for surgeries should be improved with modern technology. The proposal made by Hon. FaizalCassim, Acting Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine, to sign a MoU between the governments of Sri Lanka and India, for construction of the above said Surgical Unit, with 360 patient beds, 10 surgical intensive care beds, and 3 operation theatres at a cost of Rs. 275 million,under the assistance of the Indian Government, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
15. Obtaining credit facilities from the Indian EXIM Bank to implement 3 Water Supply Projects
The proposal made by Hon. Ravi Karunanayake, Minister of Finance, to authorize the Water Supply and Drainage Board to enter into agreements with the Indian EXIM Bank to obtain loan facilities for the implementation of following water supply projects, was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers.
Aluthgama, Mathugama, and Agalawaththa Integrated Water Supply Project (US$ 164.9 million)
Kaundasale – Haragama Water Supply Project (US$ 146.31 million)
Polgahawela, Pothuhera, and Alawwa Integrated Water Supply Project (US$ 91.8 million)